It goes without saying that your college years can (and will!) change the entire course of your life. In order to help you get your freshman year of university off on the right foot, we’ve decided to crowdsource a wide variety of advice for college freshmen.
Here’s how 15 working professionals of all ages answered the following question:
If you could go back in time and give your 18 year-old self any bit of advice, what would it be?
“Make your professors your best friends. There’s no need to be intimidated by them, plus you’ll learn networking skills no amount of schooling can actually teach you how to do.” – Sophia Madana, Digital Media Specialist, VanderCook College of Music (Click to tweet this!)
“Try to be aware of the kinds of activities you enjoy, it may help you find a job after college. Also, be as social as you can. Being social will open you up as a human being and will be way more valuable than those ten extra points on your exam. Your grades matter less than you think.” – Dallas (Click to tweet this!)
“Just when you think you know what you want to do when you grow up, you will mature and change your mind. That’s ok. Be open to evolving and growing as a person because that’s how you’ll discover where your passions lie.” –Stephanie Saia, LPC, CADC, Mental Health and Wellness Coach (Click to tweet this!)
“Explore your second option just as deeply as your first.” – Ryan H (Click to tweet this!)
“You might just have the chance to create a career you don’t even know exists, so don’t fret if no one career option feels right at 18. You might just have several careers, all connected or totally distinct. Trust in the power of transferrable skills. Things you learn in one area of life/work may be incredible tools in a future job or experience. – Julie Schumacher (Click to tweet this!)
“Don’t be afraid to follow the more creative/abstract of your passions. Most people won’t ‘get it’ but through exploration you’ll find the people who will, and will support you.” – Keidra Chaney (@kdc), co-founder/editor of thelearnedfangirl.com (Click to tweet this!)
“Talk to everyone but listen more, ask questions and do your research. Know both your value and your values and stand by them. Find a mentor, then someday be a mentor.” – Julie Schumacher, writer, @wellturnedwords (Click to tweet this!)
“Get into every paid training program you can! One day, you’ll be paying hundreds of dollars to get the education you could’ve been PAID to complete!” – Kara C. (Click to tweet this!)
“If you want to do something big – backpack across Asia, join the Peace Corps, whatever – do it now, because once you get a job, it’s hard to break out and follow that wanderlust later.” – Debbie Carlson, freelance writer, @debbiecarlson1 (Click to tweet this!)
“You WILL screw up — probably more than once — the question is not if but when. Forgive yourself, move on and let yourself learn from what you do wrong.” – Paige Worthy, client services director for Landscape Leadership (Click to tweet this!)
“I would tell myself to talk to other actual illustrators. Since I REALLY wanted to make comics, I would have pressed the point that NOW is the time. Don’t talk about it, do it. If that’s your passion, don’t worry about the ‘fall-back’ job. Start now, make mistakes, meet people, ask questions, and do it. Eventually he would probably be a moderately successful comic creator instead of a moderately successful designer and illustrator who WISHES he was creating comics instead.” – @9mm_ed (Click to tweet this!)
Blog Post: Chatroop, Lisa. [Internet]. 18 August 2014. 15 Professionals Share Their Best Advice for College Freshmen. Available from: http://good.co/blog/2014/08/18/best-advice-for-college-freshmen/
Globally transforming the experience of your brand across all digital platforms to ensure people spend more money, time and social currency on your business. We do this through a unique approach combining media, communications strategy and creative, enterprise technology, user experience, analytics and delivery.
We’re excited to work for brands as wide-ranging as: SEAT, Unilever, Western Union, Virgin Trains, Diageo, Primark and many more.
A full range of services from strategy, creative, technology and design through to media.
Online Media, Advertising, Web Development, Search Engine Marketing, SEO, Social Media, Online PR, Media Planning, Media Buying, Search Engine Marketing, eCommerce, eCRM, User Centered Design, eBusiness Strategy, Design, Affiliate Marketing
Advertising agency experience is a must
Strong Math and Excel skills a must
HTML, SQL, Python, Java Script, AJAX and other programing languages a plus
Strong technical SEO understanding, ability to identify optimization opportunities, and drive teams to deliver enhancements
Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Excel and other tools
Problem solving and opportunity analysis experience – the ability to derive actionable insights from data
Ability to evangelize SEO and educate internal cross-functional teams
Working knowledge of Bright Edge or other SEO platforms (Conductor, Moz, Search Metrics, Screaming Frog, SEO Quake)
Strong project management skills
Excellent time management, presentation, communication, writing and organization skills.
Work experience in a fast-paced agency environment
Must have a strong sense of responsibility and urgency
Bachelor’s degree or higher (Major in: Finance, Computer Science, Data Science and Programing a plus)
How to Apply
Last Year’s Actual Compensation Data
1st Year Account Executives – lowest paid total compensation $59,000 / average $69,000 / highest total compensation $79,000
2nd-Year Account Executives – lowest paid total compensation $84,000 / average $101,500 / highest total compensation $119,000
Salary: $30,000 base + Commissions + Manufacturers Bonus Incentives
Comprehensive benefits package
Paid Time Off
Health and Dental Insurance
Auto and Phone Allowance
Quarterly & Annual Awards
Annual President’s Club Trip (Jamaica’s Hyatt’s Resort this year for those meeting certain criteria)
Annual Award for Top Performers
Basic Account Executive Duties:
Outside calls on established and potential business customers to market software and Hardware solutions and related software products (including document management systems)
Prepare presentations and proposals
Build, maintain and update customer database in Compass CRM system
Train users on new equipment and resolve customer issues in a timely fashion
For immediate consideration submit current resume with contact information. Reference Job ID: 101AJF
Must currently reside in Florida
Able to pass drug screen and criminal background check
Permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
How to Apply
Reference Job ID: 101AJF
Atlantic Premier Consulting LLC
3316-A South Cobb Drive, Suite 213
Smyrna, GA 30080
Our in-house software engineering team pioneers groundbreaking new technologies enabling our customers to optimize their flight operations and to do their business at the speed of flight.
Candidate will be responsible for performing tests on ongoing new development and legacy software written in C#. Experience with testing in a Visual Studio environment for Unit Tests and Performance Analysis as well as manual testing techniques. Strong skills in reporting and documentation for testing summaries and procedures. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and should demonstrate the following competencies to consistently execute the functions of this position. All employees are expected to adhere to and be knowledgeable of Satcom Direct (SD) operations standards, established safety rules and requirements for company work guidelines. The essential duties listed below are representative of the fundamental knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the job successfully:
• Design and execute test plans (Automated and Manual) on .NET based applications
• Create test summaries and reports for issue tracking
• Use Team Foundation Server to track issues and create work items
• Generate build procedures to run automated tests for builds and publish
• Ensure that developers are using best practices (Unit Testing, Code Documentation, UI Design, etc.)
• Participate in Peer Reviews for pre-release critique of UI and functionality
• 1-5 years .NET testing experience
• Experience with C#, the Microsoft MVC framework, Windows Services, WCF Services.
• Familiar with developing testable code for code improvements in applications
• Ability to help organize dependency injection for legacy products to improve testability
• Be able to identify deficiencies in the code and suggest improvements
• BS or BA degree
• 2-5 years of relevant QA technical experience
• Experience in UI, Service, and Microsoft SQL testing
• Create clear, concise detail oriented test plans/cases
• Ability to understand and create test plans from specifications or verbal communications.
• Liaison with development, project management, and customer support
• Ability to work in a group with fast paced development teams and transitional project priorities
How to Apply
Join more than 1,900 staff who are transforming education worldwide one student at a time. Our team develops, delivers and supports K-12th grade eLearning solutions to students all over Florida, the U.S., and the world. FLVS was founded in 1997 as the country’s first state-wide, Internet-based public high school and continues to be a nationally recognized eLearning model and recipient of numerous awards.
Now’s your chance to truly make a difference!
The Instructor is responsible for providing a student-centered educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth. The position is responsible for organizing and implementing an instructional program in accordance with FLVS and state policies and laws that results in students achieving academic success. The Instructor is required to work collaboratively to plan, prepare and implement instructional activities to engage and facilitate student success in a virtual environment. The Instructor tracks and analyzes student performance data and develops learning plans, using resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles and special needs. Instructors are expected to travel 2-3 days per month to various schools as daily work locations, as well as lab visits, meetings, trainings, and conferences; assigned locations will vary, and may require overnight stays.
Essential Position Functions:
• Plan, prepare, and implement instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences
• Identify, select, create and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs
• Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement
• Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures
• Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process
• Communicate with students, parents, and internal and external professionals within established timelines
• Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment for students by participating in activities which include, but are not limited to, team teaching, meetings, staff development, communities of practice, and various committees
• Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community members
• Ensure that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program classification
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, schools, and colleagues measured by FLVS district/school survey results
• Meet specific course and school-wide student performance goals
• Demonstrate gains in student performance
• Participate in research and presentations about online teaching; this may include activities such as, authoring articles, hosting workshops, sharing of information for professional growth, and student outreach events and activities
• Participate in blended learning models, which includes both on-line and classroom instruction and interaction with students at various schools and districts across the state; may be required to report to an assigned school
• May be responsible for instructional tutoring
• Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as, meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others
• All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
(These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.)
The Benefits & Compensation:
FLVS offers more than just a paycheck! FLVS is a Florida Retirement System (FRS) employer who understands the value in offering a competitive benefits package to attract top talent. FLVS employees have access to many programs 403(b) participation and workplace wellness initiatives to help our employee manage their own health and financial security for them and their families. Exposure to cutting-edge technology, world class business development initiatives and career advancement opportunities only add to our comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Medical Plan Blue Cross Blue Shield with Rx Benefit
• Basic Life and AD&D
• Short Term Disability
• Long Term Disability
• Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible Spending Account
• Optional Life Insurance
• Florida Retirement System
• Educational Assistance Program
• Paid Vacation
• Paid Holidays
• Sick Leave
• Lifestyle Management Program
• Discounts and Deals
• Employee Recognition Program
• Tax Deferred Annuities (403b)
• Florida Retirement System
• Lifestyle Management Program
• Discounts and Deals
• Employee Recognition Program
• Tax Deferred Annuities (403b)
Interview Process and Training:
Candidates considered for an instructional position with FLVS must successfully complete a multi-level interview process, which includes a thorough review of credentials, application and resume information, recent evaluations and phone/in person interviews. The review process may also include a full-day interview and information session located at the FLVS corporate office in Orlando. If selected for a position, new hires must attend orientation and training sessions at the FLVS corporate office in Orlando, as well as required virtual training sessions provided thereafter.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher
• Valid Florida Professional Teaching Certificate in content area assigned OR proof of active enrollment in a stated-approved EPI or MAT program AND either a valid Florida state-issued Statement of Eligibility OR valid Temporary Certificate in content area assigned
• Endorsements and industry certifications as required by Florida Department of Education
FLVS Course Name – Required Certification
– M/J Comprehensive Science 1 – Biology (6-12), Chemistry (6-12), Earth Space Science (6-12), Physics (6-12)
– M/J Comprehensive Science 2 – Biology (6-12), Chemistry (6-12), Physics (6-12), Earth Space Science (6-12), Science (7-12)
– M/J Comprehensive Science 3 – Biology (6-12), Chemistry (6-12), Physics (6-12), Earth Space Science (6-12), Science (7-12)
– Chemistry – Science (7-12), Chemistry (6-12)
• One year successful teaching experience within subject area OR successful completion of an
FLVS instructional internship program OR current enrollment in an approved EPI or MAT program
• Three years’ teaching experience, preferred
Knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Demonstrated ability to successfully support the FLVS core competencies, values, and expectation for student-centered behaviors
• Operational knowledge of the Internet and Web-related technologies
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Work independently with little direct supervision
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate on group projects and work as part of a team
• Must be responsible, accountable and self-motivated
• Demonstrated strong work ethic to achieve school goals
• Display effective prioritizing, organizing, and time-management skills; ability to meet aggressive deadlines
• Ability to learn and apply all required and recommended FLVS computer applications to create efficiency and consistency in internal workflows and instructional practices
• Ability to travel 2-3 days per month to various schools as daily work locations, as well as lab visits, meetings, trainings, and conferences; assigned locations will vary, and may require overnight stays.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
• Location: Remote Office or School-Based Facility as assigned
• Frequency of travel: Occasional travel may be required to various schools as daily work locations, as well as lab visits, meetings, trainings, and conferences; assigned locations will vary, and may require overnight stays
• Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
FLVS does not discriminate in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other reason prohibited by law
How to Apply
How to Apply
Fax # 407522-5072
400 Alexandria Blvd.
Oviedo, FL 32765
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
The successful candidate in this position conducts development plan reviews, and assists with the review of current and long-range plans; comments on development plans, construction plans, planning maps, develops files and graphics, and records comments in the HTE system. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, conducting a variety of studies and research projects relating to development review issues; reviewing applications for plats and re-plats and the accompanying documentation for approval for City Council; meeting with the project professional consultants, applicants, and property owners; receiving, reviewing, and processing site development applications for sufficiency and compliance with Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code and Code of Ordinances; making recommendations concerning approval of other Department applications in compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, Code of Ordinances, and other applicable codes and statutes; and attends, participates and provides assistance to Pre-application meetings, as well as to all City committees’ boards and meetings.
Candidate will also review annexation applications, rezoning applications, development of regional impact applications, development review applications, deviation applications, building permit applications, surveys, etc., for compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, Code of Ordinances, and other applicable codes and statutes; and meet with homeowners’ groups and individual citizens to address planning/development-related concerns and determine the community’s future needs.
GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION:
As part of our commitment to a drug-free and tobacco-free workplace, some applicants may be required to successfully pass a drug and tobacco test as required by Florida law. Refusal to take a test, or failure to pass the test according to minimum standards, is cause for disqualification.
The complete job description and application materials are available at Oviedo City Hall, Human Resources Department, 400 Alexandria Blvd., Oviedo, FL 32765 or at www.cityofoviedo.net.
Resumes are not accepted without a completed application.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for positions being filled.
Tobacco-Free Work Environment
Subject to flexible work hours as needed, (hours other than 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday), and 40 plus hour work week (including nights and weekends) as needed. Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of Florida.
How to Apply